Labour and childbirth is usually a painful experience and women vary in their response to it. Some women are keen to avoid drugs or other medical interventions while others are happy to consider all available options. For a woman having her first baby, the experience of labour (and her reaction to it) is unpredictable.
For this reason, it is a good idea to be aware of the options for pain relief that are available and to know something about the different methods. You may have a plan for how you hope to manage your labour, but it is best to be prepared to be flexible.
Dr Luc Chanh Tri, Head of CIH's Anesthesia Department, said labor is the process of helping the fetus and placenta get out of the uterus through the vaginal opening. Signs of labor include colic due to intermittent uterine contractions, increasing gradually, averaging 3 contractions in 10 minutes, pink mucus discharge in the vagina, amniotic fluid.
Causes of pain in the early stages due to uterine contractions, cervical dilatation. The pain is then caused by vaginal stretching, perineal and clitoral areas, tearing of soft tissues in the vagina or perineal area.
Dr Luc Chanh Tri, Head of CIH's Anesthesia Department shareing methods for reducing labor pain during the prenatal program.
Non-medical pain relief options for childbirth
Dr. Tri offers several methods to help control pain without using drugs:
- Relax by not focusing on pain, talking to family members, whispering to your baby, thinking about fun things to come when your baby is born.
- Breathe: sneeze - breathe in or breathe - breathe in, breathe deeply - breathe slowly.
- Change positions: walk around, swing, if restricted in the birth bed should move arms, legs, lying, sitting.
- Warm water helps relieve early stage pain. There is no scientific evidence for the effectiveness and safety of underwater babies
- Epidural anesthetic is an effective method to help women reduce pain during labor and birth.
- The anesthetist injects anesthetic into a small wire placed in the epidural space in the back of the woman. Women will reduce abdominal pain 5-10 minutes after anesthetic injection. The drug is infused continuously to relieve pain for women until after birth.
- After delivery, the health worker will remove the line and the woman's feeling will go back to normal.
This is a procedure to put anesthetic in the subarachnoid space through a very thin needle. It works after a few minutes and lasts 60-120 minutes, usually for pain relief by caesarean section. Some of the side effects are low blood pressure, nausea, infections, back pain ...
Frequently asked questions about methods of pain relief during labor
Does pain relief with medication affect delivery?
The pain relief with medication does not affect the doctor's prescription for a regular delivery or caesarean section. Depending on the health of the mother and the baby, whether the mother is likely to have a normal delivery, the doctor will have an appropriate appointment.
Are there any side effects for women when reducing pain with medication?
With epidural anesthesia, a woman may experience a heavy feeling in the legs and a slight numbness, the blood pressure with a slight decrease will make the woman feel dizzy, nauseous or have a brief chill. Symptoms will quickly go away without treatment.
After birth, some women may have a headache when sitting up or back pain at the injection site. However, this rate is very low (about 0.04%). Back pain will recover completely.
Pain relief during labor helps pregnant mothers?
Helps reduce pain sensation during contractions, birth, and perineal suture
Helping pregnant women recover quickly, not losing energy, especially very good for women with medical conditions such as cardiovascular, high blood pressure ...
Analgesics that affect the baby in the abdomen?
Using pain relievers by medication will not affect the unborn baby.
Modern obstetric service for pregnant women
Obstetrics & Gynecology City International Hospital is one of the four key departments of City International Hospital, specializing in providing health care services to pregnant women during pregnancy. Besides, there are comprehensive and effective services in diagnosis and treatment of common or malignant diseases of female genital organs.
Doctors at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology City International Hospital also regularly organize online antenatal classes and practical events for both parents to share useful information throughout pregnancy. In addition, there are secrets for healthy care and raising such as methods for properly feeding babies, handling milk choke, bathing, massage for children, etc., which are guided carefully and thoughtfully.
For appointment or more information& the services provided by OB/GYN Department, please contact:
- Ms. Võ Thị Mỹ Liên: (8428) 6280 3333, ext. 8424
- Ms. Nguyễn Thị Lệ: (8428) 6280 3333, ext. 8402
High quality VIP postpartum room at City International Hospital.
Hours of Operation of City International Hospital
From April 15, 2020, City International Hospital adjusts the examination time as follows:
Medical examination during office hours:
- Outpatient clinics are available from Monday morning to Saturday morning (7:00 - 12:00). No afternoon service
- To make an appointment: (028) 6280 3333. Extension 0.
Medical examination after hours:
Please come to our Emergency Department.
- Hours of operation: 24/7
- Emergency call (028) 6290 1155.
The Remote Medical Consultation Service (via Phone, Viber, Zalo, Messenger)
- You can schedule an appointment on (028) 6280 3333 ext. 0
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us:
City International Hospital
- Address: No. 3, 17A Street, Binh Tri Dong B Ward, Binh Tan Dist. (Next to AEON Mall Binh Tan). Ho Chi Minh City.
- Operator: (+8428) 6280 3333, ext. 0
- 24/7 Emergency: (+8428) 6290 1155
- Website: https://cih.com.vn/en/
- Fan page: https://www.facebook.com/BenhVienQuocTeCity/
Always consult your doctor regarding any concern about your health. Your doctor will be in the best position to give the appropriate medical advice. For suspected undesirable drug reaction and seek medical attention immediately